Monday, August 27, 2012

What I learned on the first day of school.

 So far, every year, the first week or so of school is always a learning experience for me. What works. What doesn't. How much more/less I need to prepare. What areas are going to be easier than others. Etc. So, here is what I learned today (or, in some cases, what was confirmed).


1. This year is going to be challenging, or a few reasons...
a. both the kid above (3rd grade) and the kid below (1st grade) still need some one on one.
b. this next kid (preschool) needs almost constant supervision or who knows what he will get into.
 c. this kid...
is a handful...
enough said.


2. I need to do a little more prep for Grayson so I don't have to do all of his reading with him. He has a bigger load than ever, and I need him to be able to do more of that on his own. At the same time, I like to be familiar enough with what he is studying to be able to help him if needed.


3. I should not have waited until next week to start Math. That is one subject that (after some explanation) they can work at on their own for some time.

4. I need a schedule. In the past years I haven't had a set schedule for school. We start about the same time every day. But, were flexible in what subjects we did and in what order depending on the day. This year, I think a more firm schedule will help us all.

 

5.This year will definitely NOT be boring!   

5 comments:

Laura said...

Looks like fun! Are you still using My Father's World? I'm really enjoying the increase in independent work that comes with third grade. Of course, like you said, there is still a good bit of one on one time that is needed, but being able to send them off to complete 30 math problems without me sitting right on top of them is wonderful! It's the little ones that require so much time and attention and energy!

Bethany said...

Schooling with two little ones at home makes me nervous just thinking about it. Would love to hear any tricks you have for doing it successfully! Happy first day of school!

Frank Penna said...

YOU are very special. These boys are very special. This was a huge blessing for me today. I love you all!! PS - Chris is pretty okay, too. Thank God for godly husbands and fathers like him. (from Dad/Grandpa) :D

mommyjoymarie said...

Laura...Yes, I'm using My Father's World. They don't include math, so we use Math*U*See. We also use Spelling Power.

Bethany...Pray that Rio is a good sleeper! ;) We mostly did school when Micah was sleeping last year. Reed has a tub of things he can only get out during school time. Puzzles, workbooks, peg board and things like that. I also let him watch a Bibleman or Veggie Tale sometimes. And, he often asks for a copy of what one of the boys is doing (usually Tate). Our printer is a copier, too. So, I do that for him too.

Thanks, Dad! Glad we could be a blessing.

The Paulsens said...

Looks like a great start! Don't forget your cape ;)