Wednesday, October 19, 2011

On Adding Number Four

Whoever said (and I know I've heard it somewhere) that adding a fourth isn't as hard as any other previous number was wrong.

Maybe that person didn't have 4 ages 6 and under.

Maybe that person didn't homeschool.

Maybe it's because I have two that don't nap any more.

Maybe it's because my number 4 doesn't sleep as well as my other 3 did as babies.

Maybe that person is just better than this person.



This transition has been difficult.
Learning how to meet the needs of four children and keep my house somewhat put together has not been easy...and I haven't mastered it yet. Just when we seemed to be settling into some sort of groove, school started. Oh, my. When Grayson was in kindergarten I could slack of for a day or two, and catch up later in the week. When he was in first grade (and I was pregnant and sick) I could do this to some extent also. But, with a kindergartener (Tate) and second grader (Grayson) that doesn't work so well. I was really nervous about schooling two from the beginning (and am already wondering how you do 3!!). So, I have been more diligent than before in being prepared and getting everything done. If I didn't have two other children and a house to care for this would be great. But, school is the priority and everything else seems to spin out of control before I know it.
Gaining back control is more difficult than ever.



But,
although I have moments of feeling completely overwhelmed.
I am doing well.



Maybe it comes with knowing all too well that this is just a season.
Not that the coming seasons will be easy, but different. My boys will need me less and less. The baby will sleep. Eventually, I won't have to deal with diapers. Even school will change, they will be able to do more independently.

Maybe it's because I have a good husband who encourages me, and pitches in around the house. And is a good daddy who loves his boys.

Maybe it's because occasionally I remember to stop and enjoy these moments.
Like watching my oldest two (right now) enjoying a snack together and making each other laugh. Or today, in a rare moment of calm, as we all sat in the school room. Micah playing on the floor. Reed making some kind of creation with construction paper, scissors and glue. Tate learning the sounds of letters. Grayson learning how to count dimes. Or, just a while ago, Reed calling me mid-nap...just wanting me to lay with him as he fell back to sleep.



Maybe it's because I am just blessed beyond measure.



4 comments:

Bethany said...

Your boys are adorable and you are an awesome mommy! I was really hoping to hear that number four was easier since I'd like to add another to the bunch, but I suppose it's best to know the truth. :) What an encouragement--those little moments with our kids are the blessing in the midst of the whirlwind of our lives!

Sarah said...

you have such a cute family. I only have one and I feel overwhelmed all the time. I, too have to remind myself in the time of constant screaming and no sleep that this will pass and I will miss it. Its hard and I am happy to hear I am not the only one who struggles.

Kimi said...

This post made me smile!!

Karma said...

I remember that feeling well. Remembering that it's a "season" is such a help. Some seasons just last longer, involve more poop and less sleep. Hang in there Joy, all the work you put in now pays off big in the lives of your boys!!

PS....MAYBE those moms just had more vodka lattes to get them through the day. Just sayin. ;)