Wednesday, August 12, 2009

9 Years

Chris and I celebrate being married 9 years today!! So, to steal an idea from Tami...I give you nine of my favorite memories of Chris.

1. I very clearly remember the weekend we met. It was a trip to visit Bethel College in Indiana. I went along with some friends from school and their youth group. I remember thinking he was a bit goofy, but very nice. :) (Except that whole sending a stranger up to knock on our door stunt.)

2. Not long after that we were in a district wide choir together. I was abandoned by those I came with and ended up at lunch alone. He found me and invited me to join him and his friends...what kind of high school guy does that?

3. Prom. We went to each other's. It was fun to see him at his school with his friends, and at one of their houses after playing spoons. At my prom he wrote my name out with the gliter on the table...this becomes significant in #5.

4. Valentine's Day 2000. We got dressed up and went to a fancy dinner. All of my friends were just sure he would "pop the question" that night (and, his sister too). But, I knew it wasn't the night, and had to go back to the dorm and console all of them...I knew it would come when it was right.

5. The Proposal. We came home for Spring Break. One night Chris called and asked to take my dad out for pie. :) The next night he showed up at my house, blindfolded me and drove off. I was lead out of the car and into the place where my prom was held. There was a CD player playing the only song we remember being played and both proms ("My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic), and a big poster board on the floor with my name in gliter. He held a rose out, on bended knee, and told me he loved me. He then stood up blindfolded me, and lead me back to the car. He stopped at several places that held special meaning, each time with a rose on bended knee. Until the final stop. A sidewalk up over the highway...funny the things you think are "cool" when you are 18! :) Anyway, when my blindfold came off he was on bended knee with a jewlery box shaped like a rose and a ring inside! (We weren't 18 when he proposed...just when we thought the "bridge" was cool).

6. Finding out I was pregnant for the first time!! I took a home test on a Wednesday night that was negative. Chris was headed out of town on Friday, so he made me take another one on Thursday - it was positive!! It was such a crazy surreal moment! Then, I had to spend the entire weekend with his sister and I couldn't tell her - that was pretty hard.

7. The births of each of our boys. Each different, but very special. Besides doctors and nurses it has been just us in the room each time, I like that.

8. Watching him be a daddy...a great daddy.

9. My absolute favorite trip of all time was three years ago when Chris and I went to Boston for our anniversary. We had so much fun just looking around town and just spending time with each other.

Our wedding day was great. But, I didn't include it in the 9. I have shared this several times, but maybe not here. One of the things I remember Pastor Stuart saying at our wedding was to not let that be the best day of our marriage. There should be other days that are memory making! I am so glad I have so many memories with Chris...way more than 9, and so many just as good, or even better than that day nine years ago!

I love you Chris...and always will! I am so proud of the man you are and what you strive to become. Thank you for being a loving husband, friend and daddy.

These pictures are all from the last 4 1/2 year...since we have had a digital camera. Using others would require help with the scanner...and that would require ruining this annieversary surprise! :)

9 comments:

tami said...

has it already been 9 years?! wow! sooooo happy that god gave you to christopher and that he gave you to me, too!
i love you both! (and those three little boys, too!)
happy anniversary!

Paula said...

Happy Anniversary and many special memory days to come!

The Rouse House said...

This was so sweet! I have goosebumps :)

Happy Anniversary!!

drea :: dre of white stables said...

Very sweet! I love the idea of listing 9 things!

Happy Anniversary!

Laura said...

Awww. What a great post, Joy! Happy Anniversary. :)

Karma said...

Hope you have a great anniversary!

The Paulsens said...

I love this!! So sweet. You guys are very special to me, even though we don't see each other, well, ever. Happy Anniversary!

Michelle said...

I love the idea of listing 9 things for your 9th anniversary! And I really enjoyed reading the stories!

Unknown said...

Very sweet, Joy. Congratulations!