Wednesday, June 9, 2010

On Quiet

I love me some quiet. I need quiet.
If I don't get some in my day, it's not good.
But.
Sometimes quiet is not so good...

(Monday)
Like when you discover that your boys have gotten
every
single
card (all 378) out of a board game.
And
spread them all over the toy room floor.

(Tuesday)
Or when you find your eldest boys jumping on the guest bed.
When they know better.
And, when you discover this you also discover a pair of scissors on the floor.
Along with a whole in the little boy's shirt.


Lesson learned.
When it is quiet, go check on the boys.
But.
Sometimes even happy playing noises, which are usually great,
are not...

(Wednesday)
Like when you think these noises are coming from their bedroom,
but actually they are coming from your bathroom.
As you follow these noises you find two boys, fully clothed,
in a tub with three stuffed monkeys while running water.
As you look closer... you then find
shaving cream.
Covering the tub,
the tub surround.
the windows,
the blinds,
the counter,
and a towel,
obviously used to attempt a clean up.

Kids are tricky that way.

Also, you will find that,
in these situations,
taking a picture.
Even for a blog post.
Might just be the furthest thing from your mind.

9 comments:

Tami said...

hilarious post, joy! way to maintain a sense of humor amid some quiet and noise!

;-)

Bethany said...

Oh my, this makes me glad and sad at the same time. Glad that it's not just me and my kids... sad that it's not just me and my kids and therefore there's no hope that one day we might just get it together enough that events like these won't happen. Thanks for the laugh!

The Paulsens said...

Speechless :)

drea :: dre of white stables said...

Whew! What a week! I hope you get some *good* quiet soon!

Karma said...

Oh the joy of having boys!! Hilarious!! In a few years it will be much funnier. I used to ask them "what were they thinking?" their answer was always "I don't know." I no longer ask! Thanks for a good laugh!! :D

Michelle said...

Wow! What a week you had! Hoping your weekend is more relaxed!

Valerie said...

Mental pictures work rather well. You did an awesome job of painting a very vivid mental image for me!

The Rouse House said...

haha! Not just one of those days but one of those weeks, huh?! That's got to be some kind of record :)

Elizabeth @claritychaos said...

"When it is quiet, go check on the boys."

YES!!!!

Oh, I am sorry but I am laughing and I love this and I am SO GLAD I'm not alone. :) I'm glad you linked up. This is perfect.