Sunday, January 4, 2009

Changes

This new year has me thinking about changes over the last years.

Some changes are obvious - we now have three boys! My life in some ways is more chaotic and busy, but in other ways has gotten much simpler. I do a lot of the same things over and over every day! Nurse the baby, change some diapers, make some food, clean the kitchen, nurse the baby, changes some diapers, make some food, clean the kitchen...you get the idea. I am really learning to love keeping it simple!

For the first year EVER I couldn't wait to get the Christmas decorations down. I was sick this past week, so I didn't get to it when I wanted and it was driving me crazy! I am also ready to get back to our "normal" routine. Is this a sign of getting older...?

Speaking of routine...that is changing too. Chris is going to be working Monday - Thursday, 10 hours a day. I know I am a bit spoiled in having him home by 4:30 every day (especially considering his commute is about 45 minutes), and it is going to be quite the adjustment. The exact hours he will be working is still a bit up in the air, but he will probably be going in a bit earlier and getting home later. I banking on Fridays making this worth it!

Another big change this past year was a new house! A fun, good change, but still a change!

And, a change I had refused to really deal with until the other day. I got an email from my dad about moving the last things out of my grandparents house last month. They will be closing soon. This was the home of my grandparents for around 60 years (I'm not sure of the exact number) and mine for a few of those. I can remember playing in my grandma's four square outfits there, the laundry hanging out on the line, "doing" my grandpa's few hairs, the huge evergreen tree next to the house (it was cut down several years ago), the big stuffed deer head you had to walk under to go downstairs, walking to the bus stop with grandma from there. And, recently my boys playing there too. So many memories. One of my favorite things about their house was the unfinished basement. There was writing all over the studs! Heights of many residents and visitors over the years. I took this picture of Grayson when we were there last summer (2007) as I wrote his name and height on the stud...
My dad sent me a link to this song, This Old Place. He heard it on his way back from Denver last month. What a good reminder that this world (or our house) is not our home! It is still a bit surreal for me that Grandpa is gone and I will most likely never step foot in that house again. It brings tears to my eyes even now as the reality hits me! Thank you Grandpa and Grandma for all the wonderful memories - it was really about you and not the house anyway!

I love you Grandpa!

I am hoping that this year doesn't bring such drastic changes! Except that by the end of this year my boys will be 4, 3 and 1!!! And, I will be thirty - with Chris right behind me!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it helps - thirty was the *best* year of my life!

I am with you on the "Changes". Here's to rolling with the ones we know about - and even the ones that will be surprises - the best we can with God's help!

Love you!
Tami

Charity said...

Hey, thanks for sharing your blog with me, I love it and am a little jealous of your layout! Yeah, change is the only constant, and seeing as how I will beat you to 30 by four months, I often think of how much more I will get out of the next 60! Anyway, so fun having coffee the other day! See you soon.
Charity

Paula said...

Change is good, routine is good! New home is GREAT!

Anonymous said...

30!?!?! Let me know how that is...I have to make it to 29 first, lol.

The Rouse House said...

Ahhhh 30...I still feel 23! Notice I said feel, not look :P Although I'm hoping to get back to that shape while I'm 30, think it will work?!

The Rouse House said...

P.S. Only with better abs!

mommyjoymarie said...

Angie - you could so pass for 23!!

Karma said...

When our kids were small, Chris worked 4 10hr days. We LOVED it!! I think that was my favorite shift that he worked. He would bring donuts home on Thurs night. The kids still refer to those days as "Krispy Kreme Fridays".

Being in your 30s is great! It really is more fun than your 20s. Few extra pounds, few more wrinkles...but you are more relaxed and comfortable with who you are in Christ, so it's OK!!

Your new layout is really pretty!