Thursday, April 30, 2009

Questions for Mommies of Boys / Three Boys in a Baby Bed

So far I have one vote for #1 and one for #2, so I thought I'd start with #3! :) I have a headache and sitting still with my glasses on gives me a bit of relief, so I may just knock the other two out today too.

I have tried to figure out how to ask my questions, but now am not sure how to phrase them - or if I even need to. So, here is a glimpse of our life this week.

This has been a rough week as I said before. But, I am chalking it up to "that's life!" I am tired of repeating the same things over and over either because- a) someone isn't listening and/or b) the fact that some little people don't get that what I said yesterday still holds true today. Things like...

"don't hit your brother "
"come here"
"go sit [in pre-determined spot depending on where we are in the house - or outside]"
(more on this in another post)
"did you hear me?"
"grayson!"
"tate!"
"you need to share"
"take turns"
to name a few

I am trying to find a balance between...

letting them be boys and chaos.
letting them work out their arguments and stepping in to teach them how.
knowing that they need to be creative with play and giving some structure.

Anyhow, there have been a few good moments in between.
Blowing bubbles outside. Eating lunch with Grandma. Some new Play-Doh toys. Bedtime! Grayson taking a nap on Monday. Smiles and Hugs from three little boys.

Tate loves to play in Reed's bed. One morning Grayson wanted to join him. This kept them occupied while I put Reed's clothes away and straightened up his room. When I was done they wanted Reed to get in too. Another bright spot in my week.



If you feel like chiming in on how you find that balance between life with kids and chaos...feel free!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to have less structured time and more "free" time. I think God has blessed me with two "sets" of children for this reason... Everything was sooooo structured with Ash and Austin that - in my mind - there was NO flexibility. I tend to have my biggest meltdowns as a mom when my expectations are un-met. It may sound "lazy", but my expectations are generally pretty low these days. The toddler days don't last forever (I know this - as I look at my 12 and 10 year olds and wonder how we got here!) and they aren't always going to want to sit on the floor and play with mommy or just *be* at home with us. When structure is *really* needed, you will know it. ;)

The Rouse House said...

I loved this post! This is why we are kindred spirits...

drea :: dre of white stables said...

This is the main topic of discussion at my house right now! I feel like I should just record myself and hit play every time they're acting up since I say the same things over and over anyway!
We are trying to find that balance, too. It's tough! Those 'bright spots' are what make it all worth it though, huh?! =)

Karma said...

Here is how I find the spot between being boys and chaos...if I start feeling the least bit stressed it is time for them to take it outside or calm it down. Saves Mom having to apologize for having a postal meltdown. As your kids get older you mellow and the chaos isn't so chaotic anymore. It does actually get to a point where you learn to laugh atit all. Laugh or cry...laughing is better!

Michelle said...

My boys tend to really ramp up at night, so I have a little trick. I grabbed a stack of books and read to them on the couch. This keeps them still and quiet for a little while.