I was just reading a post on someone's blog about her 7 year old crushing her friends by telling them Santa is not real.
Tonight Grayson, Tate and Chris got haircuts (that is a whole post in itself!). The lady cutting Grayson's hair asked if he was getting his picture taken with Santa. His response - "Well, actually, Santa isn't really real." Luckily, she already knew! :) And, better than, "no, I am afraid of Santa!" Which is also true. :)
7 comments:
Joy - We've always been straight up with our kids about Santa and have worked really hard to make sure they don't drop the ball with someone else's child. So far, no major issues!
Paula - how do you explain that it is "ok" for other kids to believe he is real? I have witnessed one kid being told by another the truth about Santa - not fun!
We just had a conversation about this on the way home from your house yesterday!
When we got home we looked up the story of St. Nicholas to find some truths about the legend of Santa Claus. Mine still can't comprehend real vs. pretend (as far as fiction people go!) so we may have gotten ourselves into some trouble with the fun of Santa! However, I'm guessing as they grow the truths we've told them will culminate in a fun understanding of the spirit of St. Nicholas, the echantment of Santa and the true meaning of Christmas - Jesus!
As for your question to Paula, I'm curious for the answer. We haven't had to deal with that one at all!
I'll be back to read some advice on Joy's question. I'm trying to figure that one out myself! Amy
St. Nick--real
Well . . . We never talked about Santa. He just was not part of our Christmas conversation. If anyone asked what Santa was bringing, I'd simply say that our main focus was the birth of our Savior. I made it clear to our extended family that although the story of St. Nicholas is beautiful, the Santa of today is not him. I also stressed - stress to my kids that even though we don't believe him to be real, others do and that is okay for them but we WILL NOT tell them otherwise, that is up to their parents! We kinda made it like "our secret!" Also - if I knew we were going to be with people who celebrated Santa then I kept my kids close to me so that I could monitor the conversations they were having and intercept if needed. If we knew a particular functions main feature was Santa - we simply found something else to do.
It's a tough time for those of us who choose not to participate. But . . . It is worth it because I decided not to lie to my children about Santa, the Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy, etc. because I did not want them to anticipate someday me telling them that the God they can not see is not real. To me . . . that is more important then conformity!
Wow - long post - sorry but hope this helps!!
Thanks Paula!
I think it is going to be hard to keep Grayson from telling it like it is - but as of now we don't know too many that really believe in Santa. He does have a great imagination, but when it comes to what he knows (or believes) to be true he thinks everyone should know and think like he does. It is one quality that will be good in the long run - as long as what he believes is the truth!
I totally agree...that is our reason for not telling the truth about Santa also.
Post a Comment