Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Reed's Birth Story...

...everything you wanted to know, and hopefully not too much more!
When I posted last Monday I was off to the hospital for a nice night's sleep and some quiet time before my life got a little crazier! Well, God had other plans. I had been having contractions off and on all day, but no more than those that had previously been doing nothing! I arrived at the hospital at 6, they hooked me up to all the monitors, did all the "check-in" stuff, put my IV in, and then switched nurses. I was sitting up in bed and everyone kept saying, "you're contracting pretty regularly." They were only about 11 minutes apart, and only slightly more intense than before. I kept saying, "yes, I usually do when sitting in this position. As soon as I lay down or get up they stop." Eventually I did lay down. I was waiting for the resident to come in and talk to me and then give me the cervadil (to help with inducing on Tuesday morning since I wasn't dilated at all). I noticed that the contractions kept coming, even after I laid down - I still thought nothing of this. "I am here to be induced tomorrow," I kept reminding myself.
The doctor came in about 7:30, explained how the cervadil worked and that she would give it to me every four hours through the night - there went my nice night's sleep. She got called to a delivery as we were wating for the cervadil. When she came back she said she needed to check me first. She asked what I was at my last appointment - I told her a big fat ZERO. "Are you sure?" she asked. You are a three now! What! How did that happen? She said she needed to call my doctor and see what he wanted to do. The side of the conversation I heard went something like this...
"she is dilated to three and having contractions every 11 - 12 minutes."
"yes, I'm sure."
"start the pit now?"
"ok.."
She hung up and said "we are starting pitocin now!"
Noting that it was almost 8:30, and remembering that I started at a three on pitocin with Tate - and he came in about 5 hours (after waiting FOREVER for my doctor) I thought - this baby could be here before the 30th!!
Anyway, they started pitocin about 8:30. I LABORED for about three hours before I asked for the epidural - that pitocin is nasty!! I would have four almost unbearable contractions right on top on each other and then nothing for 5 minutes. And, in the back of my head was - I went from 5 to 10 right after my epidural last time. If it wasn't because of the epidural I am looking for some super contractions here soon! Or, if the epidrual helped and I don't get it, I could be in for the long haul! Either way, I needed a break. So, around 11:30, I got my relief.
I have to tell you about the doctor who gave me my epidural. First, we found out later he had had throat cancer, which explained the raspy voice. And, he had a very thick Asian accent. My back was to him, so I never saw his face. I couldn't understand a word he said - I was kind of panicked! I kept having to look to my nurse for interpretation. And, he was working so fast - he was to gentle! Then, when he was done he said, "do you know you have a slighlty crooked spine? We call that scroliosis." That I was able to understand.
Continuing. Epidural done, I got to talk with my nurse and watch late night TV for a bit. The contractions were still strong, but much more bearable. Here is where things start to happen. A different nurse came to see if my nurse wanted a break. My nurse was...ahem...emptying my bladder. For some reason my doctor did not want them to break my water, and it still hadn't broken. Right after she was done, I felt like it had broken. I'll just say it didn't. And, what did happen was something this nurse had only seen one other time in her 26 years...if you want to know more you can ask. She thought if she checked me it would break. I was at a 7, and it did. Before "my" nurse had even left the room I started feeling a ton of pressure, and the other nurse checked me again - I was complete and ready to go! It was about 12:30. By the time the resident came, checked me herself, called my doctor, and they got the room ready I had about a 30 minute wait. This wait was much more bearable than with Tate! I don't know exactly what time I started pushing, but it was after 1:00. As they were sitting me up I got very naucious and dizzy. I thought there was no way I was going to be able to push this baby out! They propped me up more on my left side and gave me a cool rag on my head. Somehow I mustered the strength, and Reed Logan was born at 1:15! I felt immediate relief. I had been so worried, with all of the issues I had through this pregnancy, that I would have a really dificult time during labor. Praise Jesus it is all over and we are both healthy and happy!!
Reed is sleeping in his bed for this first time (all three boys are sleeping, actually!)! Which is why I am able to post this. So far, he has only slept about an hour at a time when not right by my side - something niether of the other boys did. Grayson slept with me a little bit, Tate wanted nothing to do with that arrangement! So, sleep is still lacking. But, he is so adorable, I'll forgive him! The boys are still doing great. This morning Grayson sat on my bed and just stared at him and talked to him for quite a while. Tate still asks, "where's my baby," and wants to "kiss that baby" all the time! I think I am a lot more patient this time too - except maybe in the middle of the night. With Grayson and Tate the crying got to me a lot more, and I wasn't too happy about them interrupting what I wanted to be doing. It doesn't bother me to hold him through a meal, or strap him in my sling to clean up the kitchen. I know this phase goes by so quickly, and I want to soak in every moment of it! I would ask you to pray for me on Thursday - Chris' first day back to work. I am already "planing" on taking it easy, and just spending time with my boys. If everyone is fed and in a clean diaper when Chris comes home I am going to call the day a success!
If you read all of that, thanks! I mainly wanted to get it all down for my benefit. I appreciate all of you who read this and care about me and my famliy! And, I am not going to back and "proof read" this, so please bear with any errors! Pictures to come soon. :)

Oh, side note - I have had a fully functioning kitchen for almost a week. But, it is not fullly complete, so no pictures yet.

9 comments:

Sherbear2975 said...

wow! So you went into labor on your own!? COOL!! I thought they induced you early!! Great Birth story! I always get gaggy when I m pushing too! I love that they give you the little kidney thing! LOL!!! Congrats Mama! You did a great job!!!!!

Heather said...

I love birth stories...they are always so exciting. I'm glad you are having a bit of quiet time...it helps mama recharge!

The Paulsens said...

Bless you, Joy!! What a deal. That pitocin in horrid, I agree with you there. I made it about 15 minutes and said "I NEED an epidural!" Congrats :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I love labor and delivery storie:) This was a great one, what a nice suprise that you were dialated and didn't even need the cervidel. I totally want to know what happened when it felt like your water broke...I'm very intrigued!
Jamie

Paula said...

Oh, you go girl! Wam Bam! I do want to know what happened. I'm imagining!

You know, for the sake of sleep, snuggle that baby up close and sleep away. That is what I finally had to do with the boys - when you have gained back strength, emotional stability, and a sense of control, then you can begin breaking that attachment. For now, sleep is most important. Because with out it, the littlest things are major.

Blessings sweet friend -

~P.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing birth stories!! Thanks so much for sharing yours!! Good luck today with Chris going back to work!

Laura said...

Way to go Joy! :) I'm so glad you avoided the Cervidil. Yuck. I'm not doing that again. Hope you're having a good day!

drea :: dre of white stables said...

Thank you! Yeah, we've been going to story time since this session started. I had gone to the Alford branch before, but not since Ali was a baby. Syd loves it! Reed was too cute cuddle up in the sling. Which one do you use?

Unknown said...

Yay Joy!!! I can NOT imagine what that entire experience was like and I most definitely have zero clue what happened when your water broke... I think I want to know but I'm not sure... :)